Change of Heart
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Romance Story

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Welcome to Reality (chapter 1)

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Valerie

Valerie

Welcome to Reality (chapter 1) Empty
PostSubject: Welcome to Reality (chapter 1)   Welcome to Reality (chapter 1) Icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 12:24 am

I muttered to myself as I tucked loose strands from my ponytail behind my ears. I heaved a box from my mom's car and turned back toward the building which would be my new home for the next year, excluding breaks from the college. "Great, here I go again being the damn new kid." The building itself wasn't so bad looking, brick with white columns and the inside was huge, at least from what I saw of it with it's long hallways of rooms waiting to be occupied by new and returning students. With a sigh and a grunt I heaved the box up and began walking up the matching brick walkway to the entrance of "South Cunningham". I silently thanked the heavens that my mom, Amelia and I were the only ones out and about at this time of day. I knew I'd be more irritated if there were more people around the dorm so early in the morning. I hated the hussle and bussle of L.A and even more so of Richmond, though nothing could of compared to a night in the shades of Los Angelos, California. I mentally shook myself of the images as I walked. The sun had barely come up and yet well known to August it was hotter than Hades. It was only 11 A.M and I was pretty damn sure the temperature was at least 88 degrees with a heat index of at least 100.

"Val!, Hey Valerie!" I heard my name being called and spun around so fast he box I was carried almost flew to the ground. I cursed silently then drew a breath of relief. Emily, a pretty brunette I had met during my summer session of FIERCE, laughed and ran to catch up to me. "Sorry didn't mean to startle you, I saw you were still unpacking and wanted to know if you needed help." I cursed again as I felt heat rush to my cheeks in embarrassment, making my fairly dark skin look funny with its reddish glow.

"No, I didn't pack much. We didn't have much time to go shopping before the move in date, mom started her new job later than scheduled so she has to get home quick." Emily nodded.

"What room is yours?" I took out the piece of paper I had written with all the info on it, juggling the box and holding it to my right hip.

"110." I made a move toward the elevator and pushed the button, all the time Emily stood beside me chatting about the classes we both had to take and when dance team rehearsals started.

"We have a pretty good size group now as you know from the summer, but I can't wait to see how much bigger it gets with the semester." Emily rambled on and I couldn't help but laugh as we stepped into the elevator. I heard my phone ding with a text message and once again I shifted the box again to pull out my phone.

"You have the last box. I've already headed back to Richmond so I won't be, but so late to work. I'll call later after work. Love you-Mom" I inwardly groaned and sighed closing my eyes briefly. Go figure...thanks mom.

As the elevator dinged to signal the first floor I said goodbye to Emily and made my way to room 110. I dug around in my pocket again for my key and opened the door, putting the box down and leaning againist it as it closed, the hurt from my mother's sudden departure adding a scar to my already battered and bruised heart.

I shouldn't have been surprised, I was accustomed to being alone a lot as it was, but facing loneliness at a new school was something I didn't look forward to, sure I had friends through FIERCE and Emily was quickly becoming my closest friend, but that didn't stop the ache forming in my chest. This is going to be one long year....
Back to top Go down
Aedan
Admin
Aedan

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Reality (chapter 1)   Welcome to Reality (chapter 1) Icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 2:00 am

I shoved the rest of my junk into my car and was just able to get the trunk shut. I then walked over to my dad who was standing next to my little brother. He walked over and gave me a hug. "Have a great year son. I know you will do your old man proud." he said. "I will do my best dad. I will make sure to Skype at least once a week." I then gave my little brother a hug and got into the car. I waved at them and they waved back. I typed in my destination in the gps and blasted the stereo then took off. I sat there as I drove beaming from ear to ear. I am so happy to be going back I thought. Longwood is my favorite place to be. I can't wait to see all my friends again and just have a blast.

After about 2 hours of driving I finally pulled up to the school. I am so happy to be back I thought. I went and unloaded all of my things and began hauling them to my room. It took a good 30 minutes to get everything inside. When I was finally in my room with everything taken care of I went and began arranging all my things. I put up my posters of the Green Bay Packers finally plugged up my electronics. I decided I would lay down on the bed and rest for a bit. I smiled as I dozed off into a blissful nap happy to be back where I belong.
Back to top Go down
https://changeofheart.board-directory.net
Valerie

Valerie

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Reality (chapter 1)   Welcome to Reality (chapter 1) Icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 2:37 am

After what seemed like hours I finally got everything set up. I plugged in my computer and sent a message to my former dance coach to let her know I was doing OK and I would keep her updated as regularly as I could. I looked around my room at the different posters I had, a few from shows I loved: Benjamin Stone (Alek from The Nine Lives of Chloe King), Paul Wesley and Ian Somerhalder (The Salvatore Brothers Damon and Stefan from Vampire Diaries), one of Spencer and Toby from Pretty Little Liars (Troian Bellisario and Keegan Allen) and a few pictures each of the casts of Glee, NCIS and NCIS LA. I also hung my mirror up on the bathroom door, put my clothes in the closet and put a poster of Emmett from Switched at Birth (Sean Berdy) on the closet door to the right and another poster of Alek on the left. I'm not a girly girl, don't even think that I like to wear pink, unless it's hot pink with black or that I'm obessed with makeup, clothes, shoes and guys because that's not me at all. I laughed to myself at the thought of how un girly I could be.

Right as I put the last poster on my door my phone buzzed, it was a text from Emily saying that all FIERCE team members were meeting in Dorrill Dining Hall also known by most students as "D-Hall" for lunch and to talk about upcoming events, starting with auditions for new students. I smiled to myself as I texted back I would meet them there. I grabbed my jacket as I made my way out the door reading the text that told me exactly where the hell D Hall actually was on campus.
Back to top Go down
Aedan
Admin
Aedan

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Reality (chapter 1)   Welcome to Reality (chapter 1) Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 10:02 pm

I woke up a little while later and felt a rumble in my stomach. I decided that I would go and get some food from D-hall. I picked up my bag with my laptop and grabbed my wallet. I walked out and began to head to D-Hall.
Back to top Go down
Valerie

Valerie

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Reality (chapter 1)   Welcome to Reality (chapter 1) Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 10:38 pm

I plugged my earphones into my phone and hit the shuffle on my "I-Pod", blaring the song "Gives You Hell" the Glee version. I smile as I begin dancing down the hall to the beat in my head. The thought "Why is it I'm only truly happy when I dance??" floats through my head, but I ignore it and keep on dancing . I look at my phone again to make sure I have the directions straight then walk out the door down the stairs. I am vaguely aware of the students idly around me, but I pay no attention to them because I'm lost in my own world of music.
Back to top Go down
Aedan
Admin
Aedan

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Reality (chapter 1)   Welcome to Reality (chapter 1) Icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2011 2:17 am

I made my way to D-Hall and grabbed some lunch and had a seat at one of the tables. I took a look around to see if there was anybody I knew but was disappointed when I couldn't find anyone. I decided I would just sit here for a while and surf the internet while I eat my lunch. I pulled out my laptop and got on Facebook and took a look at what my friends have been up too.
Back to top Go down
Valerie

Valerie

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Reality (chapter 1)   Welcome to Reality (chapter 1) Icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2011 3:25 am

I was walking into D-Hall putting my phone away and at the same time pulling out my card for the lady at the counter to swipe. I thanked her as she handed me my card and I walked away to the buffet where they had the pizza, the song still going in my head. I hummed along as I filled my cup with Mountain Dew. After grabbing everything I needed I went and sat down at a table close to a window after quickly scouting and not seeing my friends yet. They must still be in the line or maybe hadn't gotten here yet. I looked around the room again quickly, only to be slightly startled to notice a guy on his computer at the opposite end of the table where I was currently sitting. I shrugged it off then went back to eating my lunch.
Back to top Go down
Aedan
Admin
Aedan

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Reality (chapter 1)   Welcome to Reality (chapter 1) Icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2011 3:34 am

I finished on Facebook and brought up a computer game and began to play and then noticed someone had sat at the table as well. I took a quick glance and noticed it was a girl who was not bad looking. I contemplated for a moment whether I should say something or not but before I could decide my best friend Kyle showed up. "Hey Aedan what's up man?" "Nothing much" I replied. "Hey Dani, Ryan and me are going to start a new game of D&D. You in?"
"Sure. When is this going down?" "We are actually going to Dani's room now to set up." "Oh cool man I guess I'll join you." I packed away my computer and grabbed my drink and followed Kyle to Dani's room.
Back to top Go down
Valerie

Valerie

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Reality (chapter 1)   Welcome to Reality (chapter 1) Icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2011 4:12 am

I felt the guy's eyes on me, but I decided not to look just in case he was still looking, luckily his friends showed up and he walked away. Emily showed up about a minute later.

"Hey Val, you ok?" I blinked and looked up at her.

"Yeah sorry. Just thinking about the music." Emily smiled as she sat down, two other girls named Jenna and Brandy showed up and sat down as well. as Emily replied,

"Who was that guy sitting here earlier, I don't think I've ever seen him." I shrugged and looked toward Brandy and Jenna. Both wore a look of great distaste.

"Aedan Harris, sophomore....don't even bother asking about him. He isn't worth the light of day. " I tilted my head, but didn't say anything. I had to admit he was cute. I tried to keep this knowledge to myself.

"What's so bad about him?, you know, just so I know to stay clear." I shook my head, it didn't really matter because I hadn't talked to him, just because I thought he was cute didn't mean anything, it probably never would because by the look on both of Brandy and Jenna's faces they clearly thought he was pretty low down.

Brandy:Womanizer
Jenna: Flirt
Brandy: Jerk
Jenna:Jock.

I sighed and glanced at Emily who was watching me. She gave me a small smile and I shrugged. I knew I would never talk to Aedan Harris, but for some reason the saying "Never judge a book by it's cover" kept floating around in my head.
Back to top Go down
Aedan
Admin
Aedan

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Reality (chapter 1)   Welcome to Reality (chapter 1) Icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 7:18 pm

I walked in to Dani's room with Kyle and set my stuff down. Dani was the only one in the room currently so we still had to wait on Ryan. I walked over to Dani and she gave me a big hug. It was kind of awkward considering only 3 months ago we had broken up. Nonetheless I hugged her back.
"So Dani how have you been? Did you have a good summer?"
"Yeah it was pretty good. I missed you guys though. Alot..."
She slowly trailed off. I thought to myself "I know that she still has feelings for me but with her also have feelings for another of her friends Luke, she is conflicted and I don't know if I will ever get another shot with her. Only time will tell. "
Finally after a couple minutes Ryan walked into the room with the board and pieces to play. Promptly we each created a character and began playing.
Back to top Go down
Valerie

Valerie

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Reality (chapter 1)   Welcome to Reality (chapter 1) Icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 8:01 pm

After that the Aedan conversation pretty much died after Brandy made me swear I wouldn't talk to him. "You are better off this way, trust me." Every so often I saw Emily glance in my direction. I would smile, but never acknowledge it otherwise. Right then my phone buzzed with a text and I looked it with an internal groan, it was Micah from home in California. I scanned the text and sent a reply of "busy talk later." I wanted to leave my past behind. Why couldn't I do that?

"Val...VALERIE!...are you ok?" I blinked and instantly flipped my phone over.

"Fine." I looked up to see everyone watching me.

"You're pale Valerie..." I narrowed my eyes.

"I said I'm fine, now what did I miss?" Everyone was silent for a minute before Brandy, giving me a hesitant look relayed what I missed while in lala land. As we split upto go back to our dorms Emily caught up with me again.

"Valerie, don't listen to Brandy and them. If you want to talk to Aedan you should." I blinked and stared in horror at her.

"Wait what!?! Who said anything--" before I could finish she stopped me and made me look at her.

"Val I saw the interest when they were talking about him. Good or bad, you apparently think hes cute." I shook my head with a sad smile, thanking God she didn't bring up my big bitchy scene.

"Thinking someone is cute means nothing in the end." and with that I got on the elevator, my blood boiling over the text and because that damn quote wouldn't get out my head.
Back to top Go down
Aedan
Admin
Aedan

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Reality (chapter 1)   Welcome to Reality (chapter 1) Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 10:32 pm

After we each finished making our characters we went ahead and played for a couple of hours. It was a fairly fun game but I wasn't really into that night. Being around Dani was still kind of difficult for me so after a while I told everyone I was getting tired and that I was going to retire to my room for the night. I grabbed my stuff and head out the door and was going to the elevator.

"Hey Aedan wait up!"

It was Dani. She ran up to me and gave me a hug.

"Why you just going to leave like that without giving me a hug?"

"Oh, uhm sorry. I'm just pretty tired and want to head to bed."

She looked up at with me with an off look on her face but then gave me a smile. She leaned up and gave me a kiss on the cheek.

"Sleep well Aedan. I will see you soon."

"Yeah" I replied. "I'll see you around."

I watched as she walked back to her room and closed the door. I turned and walked over tot he elevator and pressed the up button and waited for it to come.
Back to top Go down
Valerie

Valerie

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Reality (chapter 1)   Welcome to Reality (chapter 1) Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 11:13 pm

I checked my phone and sighed, suddenly becoming impatient wanting to lock myself in my room for awhile. I closed my eyes trying to block out the world. Micah...Mom...and that guy Aedan...I groaned. I jammed the 1 button again. Come on! I plugged in my ipod again and blared the volume.

Back to top Go down
Aedan
Admin
Aedan

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Reality (chapter 1)   Welcome to Reality (chapter 1) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 12:15 am

Once the Elevator came I got in and pressed the 3rd floor button. The door closed and I began to ascend.
Back to top Go down
Valerie

Valerie

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Reality (chapter 1)   Welcome to Reality (chapter 1) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 12:21 am

I blinked and opened my eyes, my brain then registered that I missed my floor. "Fuck" I then noticed someone had gotten in the elevator with me. I stopped short. I fumbled with my phone/IPOD almost dropping it, yanking the ear buds out my ears, the lyrics to "Gives You Hell" rang loud and clear in the silence.

When you see my face
Hope it gives you hell
Hope it gives you hell
When you walk my way
Hope it gives you hell
Hope it gives you hell

Now where's your picket fence love
And where's that shiny car
And did it ever get you far
You never seemed so tense love
I've never seen you fall so hard
Do you know where you are

And truth be told I miss you
And truth be told I'm lying
Back to top Go down
Aedan
Admin
Aedan

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Reality (chapter 1)   Welcome to Reality (chapter 1) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 1:00 am

I hadn't originally noticed that someone was on the elevator when I stepped on. But then when she pulled out her headphones I heard her music and snapped back to reality. I looked over and noticed it was the girl who sat at the table with me earlier. My stomach turned a little bit because I thought she was kind of cute but didn't know what to say.
Back to top Go down
Valerie

Valerie

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Reality (chapter 1)   Welcome to Reality (chapter 1) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 1:08 am

I fidgeted trying to stop the music without dropping my phone again. I sucked in a slow breath when I realized that the guy standing near me was the guy my friends told me about.

"Sorry" I muttered smiling weakly. I put my phone back in my wrist let and just leaned against the wall.
Back to top Go down
Aedan
Admin
Aedan

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Reality (chapter 1)   Welcome to Reality (chapter 1) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 1:24 am

"It's ok. Didn't do anything wrong." I gently smiled in her direction.
Back to top Go down
Valerie

Valerie

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Reality (chapter 1)   Welcome to Reality (chapter 1) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 1:32 am

"I'm uh...Valerie...I just transferred here from Richmond. What's your name?" What are you doing?! You already know his name idiot... My stomach flipped at his smile. He was even cuter than she originally thought. She reached up to fix her ponytail to keep her mind off the current situation.
Back to top Go down
Aedan
Admin
Aedan

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Reality (chapter 1)   Welcome to Reality (chapter 1) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 2:14 am

"Oh uh I'm Aedan. Nice to meet you." Unable to think of anything else to do I extended my hand to shake hers.
Back to top Go down
Valerie

Valerie

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Reality (chapter 1)   Welcome to Reality (chapter 1) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 2:35 am

I shook his hand once then let go letting silence follow. I didn't know what had prompted me to speak in the first place.

"What year are you?" Stop it Valerie! They warned you against him...never judge a book by it's cover.
Back to top Go down
Aedan
Admin
Aedan

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Reality (chapter 1)   Welcome to Reality (chapter 1) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 2:40 am

"Oh I'm a Sophomore. How about you?" I glanced over noticing she seemed kind of nervous. I wondered why she would be. She is a beautiful girl I thought to myself.
Back to top Go down
Valerie

Valerie

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Reality (chapter 1)   Welcome to Reality (chapter 1) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 2:47 am

"junior, even though this is my first semester" I shrugged. "What's your major?" I leaned back against the wall holding on to the bar behind me.
Back to top Go down
Aedan
Admin
Aedan

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Reality (chapter 1)   Welcome to Reality (chapter 1) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 2:51 am

The elevator door opened as It reached the third floor. "I'm majoring in History. How about you?" I stepped off onto the third floor and waited for her to get off as well.
Back to top Go down
Valerie

Valerie

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Reality (chapter 1)   Welcome to Reality (chapter 1) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 3:00 am

I stayed where I was for about a minute mulling over the idea of just taking off, but my brain had different ideas and next thing I knew I stepped off the elevator. "English, with a minor in theatre" I clutched my wrist let nervously. He really was cute...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Reality (chapter 1)   Welcome to Reality (chapter 1) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Welcome to Reality (chapter 1)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Change of Heart :: The Story :: The Story-
Jump to: